When you want to play games with your students yet you want the games to promote proficiency, try out a few of these ideas.
- Play Quizlet with fill in the blank instead of translation. Request that students play Match and Gravity. Here is an example on the topic of Mes Activités.
- As a whole class play Quizlet Live with pictures only, no translation. Here are games on Fournitures Scolaires, La Famille and Les Vêtements.
- DrawThat on Gimkit is a great game for staying in the target language. Here are some example games on Mes Activités, Vêtements and Fournitures Scolaires.
- One of my favorites is Jeopardy on Factile. Here is a beginner’s version that I call Les Premiers Mois.
- A Kahoot game is a way to circumlocute and ask students to guess from four options or it can be a regular trivia game. Here is a game for La Famille and another for Ma Journée and then a trivia game for Les Super Héros.