This World Cup I don’t need to make as many resources for myself because there are excellent resources to be found on the Facebook page La Folie de Foot. Make sure you take a look. My 8th grade students are interested in the teams and the players. If yours are as well, you might want to consider using the context of the World Cup to review vocabulary about numbers, countries of the world and colors, while introducing vocabulary around sports like player, ball, field and match. The content of this unit can be about geography and cultural information of the countries competing in the 2022 World Cup.
Here are a few resources to include if you have enough students who are interested:
- World Cup Picture Dictionary
- This or that with Ismaël Koné, Canadian player originally from the Ivory Coast
- True or false with Samuel Piette, another Canadian player
- World Cup Ads, from France
- Le Football Expliqué aux Enfants, Picture Talk with this website from Maître Lucas
- Updates from students
- Countries of the World Cup, geography and culture
- Jeopardy Game on Factile
If you aren’t following yourself or don’t know anything about soccer, these materials can be used in the next few weeks and are enough to make you feel knowledgeable. Have a great World Cup!